So we have another fabulous post today from the lovely Sharisse Dalby. Here she talks about ways we can support our gut health. It's a great read with some really good tips to take on board too. One being that we need to eat more chocolate! Yes, you heard that right... So, please enjoy...
Your gut is the hub of your body, from eating to elimination. So it’s no surprise that the health of your gut affects every organ in your body, including your body’s largest organ – your skin.
Symptoms ranging from acne, to constipation, to hives, and even mood changes can all be traced back to your gut health. If you’re not feeling “quite right” and aren’t sure what’s up, working to improve your gut health may give you the relief you’re looking for.
Here are 10 nutrition tips to support gut health for a healthy body and glowing skin:
1. Drink more water. Essential for every bodily function you have, water is also critical for proper detoxification and digestion. Stay hydrated!
2. Get off of sugar. This can seem like a painful step to take, but it’s worth it. Sugar promotes inflammation, which negatively affects your gut health.
3. Catch more zzzz’s. Sleep is often overlooked when it comes to health, especially gut health. But getting enough sleep is important for digestion as it’s a chance for your organs to rest, it also promotes healthier skin.
4. Eat lots of berries. The antioxidants in berries are great for gut health because they help control the free radicals that try and take root and they help to build up your immune system, helping to keep inflammation in check and gut microbiota in line.
5. Reduce your salt intake. Eating less processed and packaged foods, as well as adding a good quality sea salt to your homemade meals is a great way to reduce your salt intake while increasing electrolytes for proper hydration.
6. Indulge in a little chocolate. Chocolate is also a great source of antioxidants and fibre, helping you stay regular while helping to balance your gut microbiota.
7. Go have fun. You heard me! Having fun and relaxing helps to activate your parasympathetic nervous system – which aids in digestion and mood.
8. Add in some coconut oil. It helps to fight off the bad bacteria creating a safer environment for the good bacteria. This helps prevent candida and other bacterial and fungal overgrowths.
9. Include lots of greens. Keeping yourself regular is critical to detoxifying and important for overall gut health. If you’re not pooping regularly, you may need more greens!
10. Follow your supplement protocol. Please don’t go putting yourself on just any supplement protocol, I’ve had to help far too many people heal their body from taking the wrong supplements. But if your healthcare practitioner gave you a supplement protocol for your gut health – stick with the program!
If you find improvement after trying these tips – your gut needs healing, keep going! If you do not see improvement deeper work needs to be done, but don’t lose hope – we’ll get you there.
Sharisse is a Registered Nutritional Counsellor focusing on helping her clients find the link between their digestive and mental health struggles, and their gut - helping them heal using the power of whole foods.
Learn more at www.sharissedalby.com